Green Bay Packers 16

All-Stars 7


January 14, 1940


Note: The January, 1940 Pro Bowl was delayed one week due to bad weather. It was originally scheduled for January 7, 1940.


 Los Angeles (AP)- It will take something more than a collection of the best players from rival clubs of the National league to upset Green Bay's champion Packers.


The giants from Wisconsin, combining three field goals with one dazzling aerial display that skyrocketed 101 yards for a touchdown, gave the Packers a 16-7 triumph over the National league all-stars in the second annual post-season "pro-bowl" football game.


Eighteen thousand grid fans turned out in ideal weather at Gilmore Stadium to see the reigning team of the major circuit roll up a heavy margin in yards and a convincing advantage on the scoreboard.


The champion Packers, looking almost at peak form, scored a field goal in the first period, added another in the second, and in one electrifying play in the closing seconds of the half, brought the crowd to its feet with a spectacular pass.


Late in the second period the Packers, backed into the shadows of their own goalposts, turned an all-star threat into a play that left the crowd gasping. Cecil Isbell, Green Bay back, stood one yard back of the goal line and fired away. The ball traveled 61 yards in the air before Don Hutson gathered it in and headed on to the goal. The play was good for 92 yards.


Isbell was standing one yard back of his own goal line when he let fly with the ball. The line of scrimmage was the Packer eight, which gives an idea of the speed Huston had in getting down to catch the pass.


One minute before, the all-stars went 62 yards via the air lanes on a pass from Frank Filchock to Bill Smith. Isbell saved the Packers from a touchdown on the play when he bounced the flying Smith out of bounds on the Green Bay 12-yard line.

Filchock and Andy Farkas took the ball to the 10, but a pass interception by Green Bay’s Ed Jankowski on the one-yard line, and his seven-yard return, ended the threat.


The next play was the sensational Isbell-to-Hutson explosion.


Wee Davey O’Brien gave the All-Stars their touchdown in the third quarter. He returned a Packer pass 28 yards to reach the Packer 17. Johnny Drake battered the powerful Packers for six yards in two tries, O'Brien sneaked up to the nine, and Drake crashed to the six for first down. Two plays later Davey flipped a pass over the Packer line to Joe Carter for the touchdown. Ward Cuff converted.


The field goal honors went to Ernie Smith of the Packers with two to his credit as well as the extra point conversion, but Clarke Hinkle, the Green Bay's fullback star, won long distance honors. He sent one through the uprights at a slight angle from the 45 yard stripe.


Packer power, plus Hutson's pass catching wizardry, spelled ruin for the All-Stars, representing nine rival clubs in the National league. Breaks were few and far between for either team. The Packers mostly were able to make theirs count.


Green Bay ran the ball 100 yards, net, to the all-stars’ mere 29, and with the passing combination of Arnie Berber to Hutson a continual threat, accounted for 230 yards to 121 for the stars. Green Bay earned 11 first downs to eight for the stars, and that, plus the score count, tells the story.


The all-stars won't be heard from again- until January, 1941, when the "pro-bowl" game goes on for the third year.


Probably, no one will ever better Hutson's 92 yard reception.




December, 1940