The Gator Bowl is the sixth oldest college bowl, held continuously
since 1946 and the first bowl to be televised nationally coast-to-coast.
Its current full name is the Konica Minolta Gator Bowl after its present
sponsor, Konica Minolta.
The 1946 and 1947 games were played in Fairfield Stadium, which had a
seating capacity of 7,600. The stadium was expanded in 1948 to 16,000
seats and renamed the Gator Bowl. That stadium hosted the game through
1993, when it was almost completely demolished for the construction of
Jacksonville Municipal Stadium on the same site. During the
construction, the 1994 Gator Bowl was played instead at Ben Hill Griffin
Stadium in Gainesville, Florida; the game following the 1995 season and
all subsequent games were moved to January 1 and have been played at
Jacksonville Municipal Stadium.